Gold-plated replica of the cover of the Gospel with a representation of the Nativity and the Annunciation in relief bearing the signature of Sebastian Hann, a leading silversmith in Transylvania. In the work, Orthodox iconography has been brilliantly adapted to the late Renaissance style favoured by Hann. The original Gospel was bound in 1712, commissioned by the Orthodox ruler of Wallachia, and subsequently came into the hands of a man who later became archbishop of Argyroupolis in Bucharest (around 1717) and dedicated it in the archiepiscopal cathedral.
Post-Byzantine & Neo-Hellenic art
13 X 18 cm
The Virgin Brephokratousa enthroned
Virgin and Child
Tray with Dedicatory Inscription to St. George