The large, naturalistic floral designs adorning this dedicatory tray are rendered in repousse and are imbued with a decorative spirit distinctive of 17th century European silverware. According to the hallmark on the back of the plate, it was produced in Augsburg, the most important silver-working center in Central Europe, very probably by the artist Tobias Gr Ber, in the 1650s. The central boss bears a later dedicatory inscription to St George and the date 1720. The plate was deposited in the Benaki Museum, along with other treasures, by the Greek refugees of Asia Minor.
Post-Byzantine & Neo-Hellenic art
30 x 22.5 cm
Silver-plated bronze, Silver
Pendant with the Virgin
Flask for Holy Oil
Lamp stand from Eastern Mediterranean