Faithful reproduction of a tray with a narrow flat rim. The original is one of the earliest known that can be linked with Pontic copper-working. It features a metrical inscription with the date 1718 mentioning that it belongs to the Monastery of the Virgin Soumela and was dedicated by Konstantinos Panys. From as early as the 16th century Pontic coppersmiths and their creations enjoyed particular renown.
Post-Byzantine & Neo-Hellenic art
Diameter 29.8 cm
Silver-platedcopper, Tin on copper
Plate with busts of the Apostles
Tray with Dedicatory Inscription to St. George