Gold-plated bronze replica of a gold-plated silver vessel for consecrated oil (myrrh) used in the sacraments. The original comes from Trebizond, Pontos, (1670) and is adorned with floral patterns derived from Eastern textiles. The floral patterns are rendered in a naturalistic style typical of the silversmiths’ art in 17th century Constantinople, indicating how closely the craftsmen in the Pontos followed the lead of the workshops in the capital city.
The original is one of the treasures deposited in the Benaki Museum by the Greek refugees from Asia Minor.
Post-Byzantine & Neo-Hellenic art
Height 16.5 cm
Plate with busts of the Apostles
Lamp stand from Eastern Mediterranean
Holy water basin